Friday, January 4, 2013

So earlier today I saw an article on HuffPost about "The Kiss Heard Round the Sports World"...Pro-bowler Scott Norton kissed his husband after winning a championship, on television.  Now I didn't see it, because quite frankly I don't follow bowling.  But I read through it, because I think things like this are fantastic.  There was a reader comment towards the bottom that was innocuous enough, I suppose, but it made me go up in flames.

"the media's obsession with what gay people do actually perpetuates them as being"different"."

First off... There is a certain "Ugh, I don't want to see two fags kissing, why does the media have to keep focusing on it!" to that statement...  And I can understand it, I guess.  Kind of how I get grossed out watching straight people playing tonsil hockey on every street corner, advertisement, television show, and movie.  GODS FORBID that anyone should see two men, who love each other enough to commit to each other, kissing on TV.

Secondly...and by no means less importantly... I want everyone who reads this to really, really let this wash over you, and permeate your thoughts.  WE ARE NOT THE SAME AS HETEROSEXUALS.  I do not relate to my boyfriend in the same way as my brother relates to his wife, or my mother relates to my father.  I AM different than a heterosexual.  I don't love the same way, I don't think the same way, I AM NOT THE SAME.  If heterosexuals are uncomfortable with us fags as being different, then that's THEIR problem, not ours.  I am comfortable in my own skin, and firmly believe that straight people should be just as comfortable; and I know you're not.  I hear enough bullshit about women going on ridiculous diets because they think they're fat, getting plastic surgery to look prettier, younger, thinner, whatever-the-fuck...  Men who subscribe to this imbecilic maschismo horse-crap...(and gay guys, don't think I don't see you over there trying to butch it up.)  We are who we are, people.  Liking football doesn't make you butch, and liking figure-skating doesn't make you femme.  It just means you like football.  Or figure-skating.  

UGH.

Humans really, really need to stop focusing on this stuff.  We are all different.  Please start celebrating WHO YOU ARE, AND WHO I AM, AND WHO EVERYONE ELSE IS.  You are not better than me because you can recite every Judy Garland song backwards alphabetically, and I'm not better than you because I like to fix my own vehicle.  It just means you have too much time on your hands, and that I'm cheap. 

And I love you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment