Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spirit Day

So, today is Wear Purple Day, remembering the GLBT youths who have taken their own lives.  In the last month and a half there have been, what, nine young people, all under the age of 19, who we KNOW committed suicide after being bullied for being gay or perceived as gay.  Here very soon I'll be joining the ranks of the It Gets Better project.

I'm at work today, decked out in my sexy purple Imogen Heap concert t-shirt and my amethyst crystal.  I'm even wearing my rainbow bracelet.  And I was SHOCKED and amazed to see several of my co-workers who are also wearing purple, and who grinned at me and commented on my own apparel.  These are, while open-minded, not people I would necessarily have expected to give a crap about GLBT issues.  In some way they've restored part of my faith in humanity.  Little things, huh?

I couldn't sleep last night.  Got home, tired as crap, laid down, and then tossed and turned for about 45 minutes...finally I just got up, and cleared off my altar.  I found a lovely resin-cast skull the other day, life-sized, and decided he shall be called Bob.  Bob got placed on my altar, with a number of other purple items, and pride icons.  I started working Unnamed Path mojo, and then sat on my bed and talked to the spirits of the fallen for a while, offering my love, and hopes for them to find peace and rest and love, and boo-hooed like a baby.

I was almost one of those young men, once upon a time.


After all was said and done, I took a picture of my altar and emailed it out to my People, and then rolled over, staring at the flame of my candle until I fell asleep.

This morning I felt so much better.  I've been fighting off a head cold since Saturday, and I'm winning.  I've been great all day, but today has felt a little weird.  Somber, but oddly joyful.  I've seen things out of the corner of my eye a few times.  It's the season for it, I guess.  I'll be making sure everything's sealed and cleared when I get home, but I haven't been uncomfortable or scared, just startled.  Mostly I feel peaceful.

To all my brothers and sisters out there, I send you my love. I hope it helps.  Know that even if you don't know their names, there is ALWAYS someone out there who loves you.

Say Hi, Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment